Building a steady root before planning your career path
1. Finding your passion and setting goals
Passion is like a charger that helps you to stay happy and productive. If you feel unclear about your future and don’t know how to start looking for a dream job, just take a step back and ask yourself these questions:
- What do you usually love to do?
The more you are passionate about your work, the stronger motivation you possess to overcome obstacles. If it’s not your favorite field, you will easily get bored and give up early. That’s why working in an area you are interested in is more effective than “just do it for the money”.
- Where do you see yourself in the future and who do you want to be?
Coming up with both short-term and long-term goals will keep you busy and focused on improving relevant skills. It is important to identify yourself in the future, setting goals and listing out what you need to do to achieve them. This not only saves time but also helps you to clearly see your career roadmap and specific steps to progression. Also, it’s useful to try looking for inspiring people and see what they are doing achieve success. Below is our suggestion with the SMART framework which is the most popular “recipe” to set goals base on five elements (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-based).
Source: Indeed 2020
2. Sharpening skills and gaining experiences
Once you have found your passion and sketched out some goals, it’s time to start your career journey by gaining an understanding of the your suitability for the job, with three suggestions below:
- Do some research to explore the skill requirements for the industry, then identify your pros and cons
- Read at least ten job descriptions (JD) on recruitment platforms related to your favorite position to identify the skills desired by employers
- Start networking by having conversations with alumni, joining group/communities, finding mentors or anyone who can advise and inspire you
Now use it rather than lose it! You may gradually lose skills if you don’t put them into practice. Keep learning and do not hesitate to throw yourself into challenges to gain experience. Check out these tips:
- Take training courses and workshops to get fundamental knowledge and industry expertise. There is some information that you may never learn from books. In order to motivate freshers who are passionate about IT, NashTech is hosting “The Rookies” – an intensive training program led by industry experts
- Actively participate in various projects and be willing to receive feedback so you can understand your strengths and weaknesses. Learning from mistakes is the best way to improvement
- Try internships to apply knowledge into practice and learn from experts. This is a great opportunity for you to interact, communicate and raise questions to clarify your doubts
How NashTech builds up the ideal workplace to nurture our people
Working in a people-oriented company, where you can grow by working and learning with experts, will influence your inspiration and motivation. At NashTech, we facilitate employees to self-develop with free training courses and sharing sessions from industry experts. As a global technology company, we encourage our people to expand their expertise by taking IT specialised courses and gaining certificates with sponsored examination fees.
NashTech also organises a wide range of activities, notably sport clubs, team bonding and social responsibility events, to facilitate our people to improve work-life balance, release stress and get to know each other. Visit here for more detailed information and see how we enjoy these interesting activities.
As one of the best employers in 2020, we are proud to be a happy workplace and a source of inspiration for other talents. We hope the sharing of our inspiring Nashers, who are valued and supported to achieve success, will give you the motivation to transform your own career path.